Writer’s block, or is that Designer’s block? Looking for inspiration and some new ideas for dashboards. What better than finding inspiring PowerBI dashboard examples and solutions from others? The following are some of the go-to links I am certain you can find useful and a Power BI Gallery.
These PowerBI examples serve as an inspiration and help you understand best practices and techniques to create effective dashboards. In this blog post, we’ll discuss how to find great Power BI dashboard examples, what makes them stand out, and how to customize them to fit your needs.
What Makes a Great PowerBI Dashboard Example?
Before diving into how to find great PowerBI dashboard examples, it’s essential to understand the characteristics that set them apart:
- Clear and concise visualizations: The primary goal of a dashboard is to communicate complex data in a simple and easily digestible manner. Great dashboard examples showcase clear, effective visualizations that convey the intended message quickly.
- Well-organized layout: A well-structured layout allows users to navigate and understand the dashboard effortlessly. Good examples feature intuitive arrangements of visuals and use whitespace effectively to reduce clutter.
- Effective use of filters and slicers: By incorporating filters and slicers, great dashboard examples enable users to interact with the data and focus on specific segments or time periods, making the analysis more flexible and dynamic.
- Customizable design elements: Aesthetic appeal is essential in data visualization. Great dashboard examples have a professional and visually appealing design that can be customized to align with your brand or personal preferences.
- Easy integration with various data sources: The best dashboard examples can seamlessly connect with different data sources and be easily modified to work with your data.
Top Sources to Find PowerBI Dashboard Examples
Power BI Learning Samples With Data
This first set also includes the data behind the visuals. Microsoft’s documentation site offers diverse full samples with data covering several workloads and subjects. These include built-in samples and apps in the Power BI service, .pbix files, Excel datasets, and SQL databases.
The samples are on the Microsoft Learn documentation site, Get samples for Power BI – Power BI | Microsoft Learn. Some of the samples include;
- Eight original built-in samples in the Power BI service, with dashboards, reports, and datasets
- Financial data sample workbook, a simple flat table in an Excel
- The original and well-loved dataset of the AdventureWorks dimensional model. This full tutorial can walk you through creating a Power BI report with the data.
- Artificial Intelligence sample with a Power BI report. You can learn and use the Power BI artificial intelligence features such as key influencers, root-cause analysis in a decomposition tree, and anomaly detection.
I have had a Pinterest account, https://Pinterest.com/5minutebi, for some time and found it to be a great resource for Power BI dashboard examples, learning, and graphical inspiration. Topic boards I have set up include; Dashboards, Infographics, PowerBI, Presentations and Training, Data Engineering, Data Visualizations & Resources, among other Data & AI topics. Fair warning, you may also find the odd recipe or backyard garden idea board in the feed. The other added benefit is that the Pins will link to a source site which also may include lessons, tutorials, and other board examples.
Clicking on the Follow ON Pinterest, if you are logged in, will take you to a link where you can follow my Pins. Scroll down the imbed below for a sample.
Use Google Image Search
The following Google image searches are handy as being able to see an entire page of Power BI Dashboard examples and other learning resources of dashboards, graphs, reports, scorecards, and infographics. Try the following examples below;
- Examples of Dashboards
- Examples of Scorecards
- Examples of Web Reports
- Examples of Graphs
- Examples of Infographics
Power Data Stories Gallery
The Power BI Data Stories Gallery has almost 1000 examples, 63 pages for eight examples per page of data visualization examples, and users voting to find their favorites. Whether you’re just starting, just looking for inspiration, or to see what the art of the possible is, the Data Stories Gallery has so many ideas it should be your first stop. Each entry has an interactive Power BI Dashboard, an example, and a downloadable Power BI Desktop file. This is a place for partners and developers can share their work.
Official PowerBI Community Gallery
The PowerBI Community Gallery is an excellent place to start your search for dashboard examples. It offers a wide range of user-submitted dashboards showcasing different industries, data types, and visualization techniques. You can also engage with the community by asking questions, providing feedback, or submitting your own dashboards.
As part of the Power BI community site, several galleries showcase various tutorials, discussions, demos, and Power Bi sample reports galleries such as; Themes Gallery, R Script Showcase, Webinar and Video Gallery, and Quick Measures Gallary. Power BI’s success is a testament to the great community that surrounds the product and those willing to give back.
GitHub, a popular platform for hosting and sharing code, also hosts numerous PowerBI projects and dashboard examples. To find these resources, use the search functionality with keywords like “PowerBI” or “PowerBI dashboard” and filter the results by repositories. Some popular repositories include:
PowerBI-related Blogs and Websites
Several PowerBI-focused blogs and websites share dashboard examples, tutorials, and best practices. Some of the top blogs and websites include:
Online Courses and Tutorials
Online courses and tutorials often provide dashboard examples to support learning. Websites like Coursera, Udemy, and LinkedIn Learning offer a variety of PowerBI courses that include dashboard examples and use cases. Additionally, Microsoft offers the PowerBI Guided Learning platform to help users learn PowerBI with practical examples.
Social Media and Online Forums
PowerBI enthusiasts and professionals frequently share dashboard examples and insights on social media platforms and forums. Some popular platforms include:
- LinkedIn: Follow PowerBI-related groups or use hashtags like #PowerBI and #PowerBIDashboard to discover examples and connect with experts.
- Reddit: Subreddits like r/PowerBI and r/DataVisualization often feature dashboard examples and discussions.
- Twitter: Follow PowerBI influencers and Microsoft’s official PowerBI account, and use hashtags like #PowerBI and #DataViz to find dashboard examples and tips.
Remember to engage with these communities by asking questions, sharing your experiences, and providing feedback on others’ work.
Evaluating and Customizing Dashboard Examples
When you find a PowerBI dashboard example that you’d like to use, follow these steps to ensure it meets your needs:
- Assess the dashboard’s relevance: Determine if the dashboard aligns with your specific goals and requirements.
- Check for compatibility with your data sources: Ensure the example can connect with your data sources, such as Excel, SQL Server, or cloud services.
- Customize the dashboard’s design and layout: Modify colors, fonts, and other design elements to match your brand or personal preferences.
- Modify or add new visualizations: Adjust existing visualizations or create new ones to enhance the dashboard and better display your data.
- Test the dashboard with your data: Once you’ve customized the dashboard, test it with your data to ensure it meets your requirements and performs well.
Great PowerBI dashboard examples can be valuable for learning and enhancing your data visualization skills. By exploring examples from various sources and understanding their key characteristics, you can develop more effective and visually appealing dashboards for your organization. Don’t forget to customize the examples to suit your specific needs and data sources, and always engage with the PowerBI community to continue learning and improving.
Thanks, and I hope these posts help you on your journey! But Also, Feel free to join the community and take part. I have always learned so much from others that I feel it necessary to give back to the community that has taught me so much.
Q: Can I use a PowerBI dashboard example for commercial purposes?
A: It depends on the licensing terms associated with the specific dashboard example. Always check the license and, if necessary, request permission from the creator before using the dashboard for commercial purposes.
Q: Can I customize a PowerBI dashboard example to work with a different data source?
A: Yes, PowerBI dashboards can be customized to connect with various data sources, including databases, flat files, or cloud services. However, you may need to adjust the data model, relationships, and visualizations to work with your data.
Q: How do I learn more about creating my own PowerBI dashboards?
A: In addition to exploring dashboard examples, consider taking online courses, reading blogs, and engaging with the PowerBI community. These resources can help you improve your PowerBI skills and create compelling dashboards from scratch.